What do you wear when you want to feel like confident, beautiful and flat-out sexy ? That LBD tucked away in your closet or a kick ass pair of stilettos? For me, it’s definitely a bold lip! Nothing exudes confidence , boldness and passion more than a perfect red lip. Anytime I think of a red lip,Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe are the images that come to my mind. They definitely exuded sensuality and were never caught without a perfect pout.
From the 1940’s to now, a red lip is still considered the #1 way to stand out in a crowd and gain attention! However , many women find it somewhat daunting when searching for the right shade or red and once you find it, how do you apply it ? This is why I decided to write this post to help you ladies out!
Here are a few helpful suggestion on how to find your perfect shade or red lipstick and how to apply it.
What is the perfect shade of Red for my skin tone?
Look for shades of red with blue or pink undertones
1. Tom Ford, Private Blend
2. Angel Red, Clinique
3. Ruby Woo, MAC
Yellow or orange-based reds in a deep or bright tone are suit you best.
1. Le Rouge, YSL
2. Heat Wave, NARS
3. Russian Red, MAC
The darker the skin tone, the deeper the red should be. Deep berry, burgundy and oranges are your go-to shades.
- Fire Down Below, NARS
- L’Absolu Rouge Définition, Le Carmin
- Wine Red, Revlon
7 Steps To Apply Red Lipstick
1.Neutralise the lips by applying left over foundation from your sponge or brush.
2. Add a sweep of translucent powder.
3. Adding a plumper to your lips is not mandatory but a nice added touch.
4. Line your lips with a liner that stops feathering or bleeding of the lips. Not mandatory but nice to addition.
5. Line your lips with a sharpened lip liner that is similar in shade or from the same colour family of the lipstick you will be applying.
6. Apply your lipstick either straight from the tube or using a lipstick brush.
7.Using a small concealer brush or a Q-Tip, trace the outline of your lips using concealer or foundation. This will not only lift your lips up but also make them look fuller. This also helps clean up any mistakes you may have made.
I hope you enjoyed this post, if you did leave me a comment !