Awhile back I posted on IG that I started incorporating Vitamin C to my daily skin routine and I received questions on which product I recommend. Since I was a novice I wasn’t able to provide a fair response, but since then I’ve tried out the 2 most popular Vitamin C serums on the market and here are my thoughts and comparisons of the two products:
DRUNK ELEPHANT C-FIRMA DAY SERUM
This Vitamin C serum contains 15 percent L-ascorbic acid which is a potent form of vitamin C for antioxidant protection, fading dark spots, brightening, and accelerating collagen production.
- Also includes ferulic acid and vitamin E (tocopherol), which are great at treating sun damage and fine lines
- Has an acidic pH of 3.3, which is ideal because L-ascorbic acid has been shown to penetrate best at pH levels less than 3.5.
- It can oxidize within 3 months and oxidized Vitamin C can age your skin, according to dermatologists. Rate of oxidation differs from product to product so I can’t tell you exactly when it will ” expire” however 3 months is usually
- Unfortunately, the rate of oxidation is not easy to gauge because it has a light golden tint even when fresh. Once it turns darker and more orange, it has probably oxidized, so I would discontinue use.
- Contains Marula oil, which is a heavier oil with a thick consistency that may clog pores so maybe not best for acne prone skin.
- Stays on the skin for up to 72 hours, even if you wash your face..that’s pretty cool!
- Uses natural and synthetic ingredients
- Fragrance Free
- It’s expensive at $105 for 30ml bottle
Overall, I really liked the DE C Firma Vitamin C serum and would recommend to anyone who wants to firm, brighten and improve the overall look of your skin. It is expensive for a serum but definitely does deliver on it’s promise to give you a glowing complexion.
It has a good amount of antioxidants + ingredients. Contains high amounts of Vitamin C and absorbs right into the skin without that sticky feeling some serums leave behind. You can easily layer other products such as The ordinary ” B ” Oil and/or Squalane Oil without having the feeling that you have too many products or irritation on your skin. I used up the whole bottle within 2 months and that was everyday morning use, one small pump for the entire face followed by B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum. I saw some changes in the nasolabial folds ( fine lines around the mouth) but the big change happened with the overall texture and plumpness of the skin, however, I believe that’s attributed to the use of B- Hydra + C Firma together. I call these my powerhouse couple! I feel this product would work great on all skin types except for oily skin. The Marula oil is heavy and may clog your pores, so proceed with caution. The texture of the serum feels silky but watery so work quickly when working it into your skin. If you want long term results from the DE C-Firma Vitamin C then consistency ( every day or other day) should be your goal!
OLE HENRIKSEN BANANA BRIGHT VITAMIN C SERUM
This serum contains 15% Vitamin C which is highest concentration of vitamin C for daily use.
- 5% PHAs (Polyhydroxy Acids) A plumper alternative to AHAs that helps even skin tone and texture through chemical exfoliation, loosening the “glue” that binds the surface layer of skin together, and reveal the newer, fresher skin beneath.
- Vegan, cruelty free
- plump skin’s surface with hydration and reinforce skin’s moisture barrier.
- Contains Hyaluronic Acid that helps plump skin’s surface with hydration and reinforce skin’s moisture barrier.
- Vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps nourish and condition skin; also helps stabilize the vitamin C in the formula.
- Again, 3 months is probably all you’re going to get form this product before it “expires”.
- Contains Orange Peel oil – used to achieve the orange colour, may irritate some skin types.
- Fairly priced compared to to other leading brands at $86 for 30 ml
Overall, I would say the Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Vitamin C serum will give you the best glow you have ever had. I do find that it takes longer to absorb than DE C Firma. This wasn’t a deal breaker for me but might be for some. The texture of this serum feels silky, smooth and isn’t a watery serum so you have time to work it into the skin.
Left – DRUNK ELEPHANT
Right- OLE HENRIKSEN
The type of vitamin C serum you decide to use in you routine will depend on the results you want and your price point. I use both interchangeably as I feel they both benefited me greatly!